Photo credit: © zefirchik06 – stock.adobe.com
According to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the average person drinks 400 calories per day. Drinks not eats! And let’s face it, those are most likely empty sugar calories. It’s time for a change, infused water can help.
What is infused water?
It is water that has sat for several hours with natural ingredients soaking in it. These ingredients include fruits, vegetables, and herbs which release flavors, vitamins, and nutrients. Infused water provides a tasty beverage and a source of healthy hydration. Infused water is also called detox water. Some claim that certain fruit and herb combinations can speed up weight loss. We are not dietician’s and do not particularly buy into this notion. But, making this switch comes with a significant calorie reduction–detox or not.
How do I make infused Water?
Add your favorite fruit, herb, or veggie combination to a jar, or pitcher of water. You do not need much; a small amount can flavor an entire gallon! Then let it sit in the fridge for 4-12 hours. The easiest option is to make you infused water at night, and it will be ready to drink in the morning. Most people recommend removing the fruit after 12 hours, that is up to you. We like to remove it and eat it with our breakfast cereal : )
Lemon Blueberry Mint Infused Water Recipe
- ¼ cup blueberries
- 2-3 lemon slices
- 3-4 mint leaves
- filtered or bottled water
- mason jar
- Wash all of the ingredients thoroughly.
- Fold the mint leaves in half and rub the halves together gently with your fingertips to release the flavor.
- Add the ingredients to a 16-ounce mason jar.
- Fill the jar to the top with cold water.
- Place the lid on the jar and give it a swirl.
- Chill your infused water in the refrigerator for 4-12 hours.
- In the morning you will have flavor-filled water to rehydrate your system from the night!
Is Lemon Blueberry water good for you?
Lemon will provide you with vitamin C, and blueberries are packed with antioxidants. Both are great additions to your diet! But keep in mind, that the real health benefit is coming from drinking more water. The fruit flavor is a way to make it more enticing!
You may also like: